I know that everyone is particular about their favorite holiday movies. I enjoy my brother and his wife’s organization the most though. They have a master list of Christmas movies and episodes that they like to watch each year. That way whenever there’s a quiet evening they can throw in one of their favorites to watch.
I like their list especially because they include TV show episodes too, which sometimes are more favorite to me than movies. Because I love y’all I thought I would share their list with you. The more I read their list though, the more I thought I should really make a master list for our house too.
So first, let me share theirs. Then I imagine there will be some quality Amy Keys honest commentary (I haven’t had coffee yet, so read at your own risk)while I share my list.
Josh & Ashley’s Master List
TV Show Episodes
- Season 9, Episode 10- The Strike
- Season 3, Episode 9- Frasier Grinch
- Season 5, Episode 9- Perspectives on Christmas
- Season 1, Episode 10- Christmas
- Season 2, Episode 10- A Simple Christmas
- Season 4, Episode 9- Christmas Help
- Season 5, Episode 9-The Christmas Tree
- Season 6, Episode 9- The Christmas Wall
- Season 2, Episode 12-I’m Scheming of a White Christmas
- Season 3, Episode 12- ‘Twas the Blight Before Christmas
- Season 5, Episode 12- ‘Twas the Flight Before Christmas
- Season 3, Episode 16- A Very Special Family Guy Freakin’ Christmas
- Season 2, Episode 11- Still Christmas
- Season 4, Episode 9- Still Avoiding Christmas
The King of Queens
- Season 1, Episode 11- Noel Cowards
King of the Hill
- Season 8, Episode 7- Livin’ on Reds, Vitamin C and Propane
- Season 6, Episode 12- Christmas Cheers
- Season 1, Episode 11- All I Want for Christmas is my Dead Uncle’s Money
- Season 2, Episode 11- It’s a Complicated Plot
- Season 4, Episode 10- The Customer’s Usually Right
- Season 6, Episode 11- Insanity Claus
- Season 7, Episode 10- ‘Twas the Heist Before Christmas
- Die Hard
- Trading Places
- Just Friends
- Christmas with the Kranks
- Four Christmases
- Bad Santa
- Grumpy Old Men
- Trapped in Paradise
- Christmas in Connecticut
- Love Actually
- The Ref
- Funny Farm
- The Santa Clause
- The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Jingle All the Way
- A Christmas Story
- Home Alone
- Home Alone 2
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- Merry Christmas Mr. Bean
- It’s a Wonderful Life
Ok, what did you think of that list? I feel like it is incredibly well organized and includes lots of my Christmas favorites!
Moving on to our Master List- and my thoughts about each choice
The Keys’ Master List
- Die Hard– I hadn’t seen this until I met Tom. Since then, I’ve read all kinds of nonsense about this ‘not being a Christmas movie’. Here’s the thing: the setting of the movie is a Christmas Party. It doesn’t get more Christmas-y than that. Plus, it includes “Ho Ho Ho now I have a machine gun”.
- The Holiday– In the same way, Tom hadn’t seen this until he met me. It’s a happy favorite and it includes little kids with British accents, so you’re welcome.
- Lethal Weapon– opens with Christmas music and includes a Christmas tree. Therefore, Tom proclaims it is also a Christmas movie.
- Home Alone– this is a classic and will always be a favorite.
- Home Alone 2– another classic. Also, this is the end of the Home Alone movies. There are no others. Don’t even mention 3, 4, or 5. They aren’t really Home Alone movies. Don’t do it. Don’t watch them.
- Just Friends– I do love this movie.
- Elf– Not Tom’s favorite, but I love it. Plus, it includes the phrase “Son of a nutcracker!”
- White Christmas– growing up I hated this movie because my mom made me watch it nonstop through the holidays (or at least once, my memory could be foggy there). I enjoy it more as an adult though.
- Christmas with the Kranks– One of my favorites. It’s based off the John Grisham book Skipping Christmas- which I also love. Plus, Tim Allen and I’m a Tim Allen fan.
- The Santa Clause– speaking of Tim Allen. Love this one.
- The Santa Clause 2– Another favorite.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation– “It’s Christmas and we’re all in misery.” “Hallelujah, holy shit, where’s the Tylenol?”
- It’s a Wonderful Life– a classic, but it always reminds me of when Phoebe on Friends watches only half of it and says “it’s a sucky life, and just when you think it can’t suck anymore, it does!” .
- Miracle on 34th Street– it’s not actually my favorite, but it is as classic as they come for Christmas movies.
- Christmas in Connecticut– I do really enjoy this one! The original from 1945.
- Charlie Brown Christmas– we watch it, and right next to the TV sits Tom’s one and only Christmas decoration he brought to our marriage– his Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.
- Mickey’s Christmas Carol– Did y’all know that apparently there is a Christmas carol movie that is NOT animated? I saw it on TV the other day. Weird.
- Dr. Suess’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas– Animated. The original. Not Jim Carey.
- – It stars my nephew-dog, Fletcher, as the Bumble.
- A Christmas Story– in my opinion, the worst Christmas movie ever made. You don’t have to choose to watch it though, because TBS feels the need to air it for 24 straight hours of hell on Christmas each year. It never gets better. It only gets worse. But.. my husband likes it for some unknown reason.
- Donald Duck & Chip & Dale Christmas cartoons– these are some of my very favorites. They remind me of my childhood. Nothing like Donald being tormented by Chip & Dale to put you in the holiday spirit. I love Donald wrapping presents too.
- Any Candace Cameron-Bure Hallmark Christmas Movie– I am who I am. They make me happy to have one while I’m wrapping presents. Yes, they are cheesy, but I like them.
TV Show Episodes
Now, bear with me and don’t be all judge-y. These are quality episodes. I wouldn’t steer you wrong.
- Season 4, Jaggle Bells
- Season 5, Ghosts of Christmas Past
- Season 7, Answered Prayers
- Season 8, All Ye Faithful – my very favorite one. It must be watched every year. No exceptions. Jacelyn if you were here I’d make you watch it so you could truly enjoy the great acting!
- Season 4, Episode 9- Mr. Monk and the Secret Santa
- Season 5, Episode 9- Mr. Monk Meets his Dad
- Season 6, Episode 10- Mr. Monk and the Man Who Shot Santa Claus
- Season 7, Episode 9- Mr. Monk and the Miracle
- Season 3, Episode 16- A Very Special Family Guy Freakin’ Christmas “Merry Christmas to all and to all shut the hell up!”
Last Man Standing
- Season 3, Episode 11- Elfie
- Season 5, Episode 11- Gift of the Wise Men
Basically any episode that has an interaction about Christmas tradition between the Baxters and Ryan is my favorite. Vanessa referring to their tree, “We murdered a big one this year!”
- Season 2 – Gus’ Dad May Have Killed an Old Guy
- Season 3- Christmas Joy
- The One With the Holiday Armadillo
- I’m not even going to list them out. Pretty much all of the Christmas Party episodes make me laugh.
Final thoughts: Be careful to never watch, read, or listen to anything about Christmas shoes.
Ok, what do you think of my ultimate list? What did I miss? What is on your list?