I will admit that I love Dairy Queen’s ice cream cakes. I always have. They have something crunchy happening and pudding and ice cream and it’s just a good combo. They are also outrageously expensive.
I’m no queen of dairy, but I think this ice cream cake is almost as good. Also, it’s super easy to throw together and impress at a BBQ and it’s much more affordable.
This particular recipe comes from Kraft. All the hard work of layering is done by throwing in some ice cream sandwiches.
This cake won’t disappoint. I promise.
It also won’t kill you if you struggle with symptoms with standing, stirring, etc. in the kitchen.
1/2 cup hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
1 tub (8 oz) Cool Whip whipped topping, thawed and divided (See video below)
1 package (3.9 oz) chocolate flavor instant pudding
8 Oreo cookies, chopped
12 vanilla ice cream sandwiches (the recipe calls for vanilla, but you can follow your heart here and do what you desire! I think cookies and cream or mint chocolate chip would be delicious!)
- Pour hot fudge into a bowl and whisk in 1 cup cool whip. Add dry pudding mix and stir for 2 minutes. *You can certainly use an electric mixer if you are like me and fatigue quickly stirring.
- Stir in the chopped Oreos.
- Eat one of the extra Oreos from the box.
- Place a 2 foot piece of aluminum foil out on the counter. Lay 4 ice cream sandwiches out on it side by side.
- Top with half of the Cool Whip (see video below) mixture.
- Layer another 4 sandwiches and top with the remainder of the fudge mix.
- Top with last 4 sandwiches. Frost the top and sides with remaining Cool Whip (see video below).
- Bring up foil around the sides (avoiding touching the sides) and fold on the top to loosely seal packet.
- Freeze 4 hours and then enjoy!
I can’t type Cool Whip and not pronounce it in my head ‘Stewie style’. It’s just wrong.
Don’t mind me, I’m off to the store to get ice cream sandwiches.